The fabulous thing about chalk paint is that it can be made for just pennies compared to buying it already made at the paint store or your local hardware store. Chalk paint – not to be confused with chalkboard paint, which is an entirely different kind of paint and can also be made at home – can be applied to many furniture surfaces, whether it’s bare wood or a piece that’s been previously stained or painted; chalk paint goes on with just as much ease as the store bought brand. It is very easy to make chalk paint for furniture. Mentioned below are the steps on how to make chalk paint for furniture.
A quick trip to your local craft store or hardware store for supplies and you’ll be painting your furniture in no time.
Supplies you’ll need:
- Plaster of Paris
- Latex paint of your desired color (consider using left over paint from past projects)
- Warm water
- Large bowl or bucket to mix the chalk paint in
- Wooden paint stick (you can get these at your local hardware store for cheap or even free, sometimes)
- Paint brush or sponge for application
Yup, that’s it!
You can adjust the following recipe to meet any size furniture need; it’s just 1 part Plaster of Paris, 1 part warm water, and 3 parts latex paint)
When you’re ready to mix up your batch of homemade chalk paint:
- Begin by mixing 1 cup of Plaster of Paris in a bowl with 1 cup of warm tap water.
- Once the Plaster of Paris is dissolved, mix in the latex paint of your choosing and stir with the wooden paint stick until thoroughly blended.
- The combination of the Plaster of Paris and the diluted paint will help the first coat you apply dry faster, usually in less than an hour!
- The second coat will go on more smoothly and will eliminate many of the brush strokes from the first coat.
Keep your homemade chalk paint stored in a sealed plastic, glass, or metal container when not in use. It does tend to thicken a little when it’s been sitting, but just give it a quick stir and it’s ready to go. It can be stored for several weeks. Great to have around for touch-ups or starting other projects with; just label the container with what project you used the paint on and store in a safe place.
There are many great reasons for making your own chalk paint, the most important of which is it’s much less expensive than buying chalk paint at the store. It also has the added benefit of using up old paint that’s just been sitting out in the garage collecting dust. Chalk paint is great for distressing furniture as well, which is a very popular technique being used in decorating today. It’s not difficult, as you can see to make chalk paint at home. Just a few supplies from the local craft store or hardware store and, for less than half of what you pay for the store bought kind, you will be on your way on how to make chalk paint for furniture with your own hands that will make your furniture look fabulous for years.